What is "Scholarly Communication"?
Scholarly Communication is a term used to describe the ways that academics, researchers, scholars, and teachers share information, through publications and teaching. We offer numerous services relating to open access, including information programming and consultations.
Some examples of the services we provide
- Copyright & Publishing Contracts - We offer support on issues such as copyright and fair use, publishing contracts, and other legal issues that may affect teaching, learning, research, and publication. Visit our copyright education website for fact sheets and updates, or make an appointment with our Copyright and Information Policy Librarian.
- Open Access - We can answer your questions about Open Access and the university’s Open Access Policy. We also maintain the Supporting Open Access and Research (SOAR) Fund to support Open Access scholarship on campus.
- Open Educational Resources (OER) & Teaching Materials - We support the development of OER by providing grants for the development of OER as well as coordinating the development of resources with subject / liaison librarians.
- ORCID - We'll answer your questions about obtaining and maintaining your Open Researcher and Contributor (ORCID).
- Perma.cc - We'll create an institutional account for you to create unlimited archival copies of web pages with permanent URLs.
- Pressbooks - We offer an instance of Pressbooks for Educational Institutions, the open source book publishing platform, that is available to all campus authors who wish to publish open educational resources or monographs.
- Publishing Services - We publish a variety of conferences, journals, workshops, and monographs through ScholarWorks.
- Theses and Dissertations - The Libraries are embarking on an ambitious, multi-year project to digitize all of the University of Massachusetts Amherst's dissertations and theses. Visit ScholarWorks to see current and past theses and dissertations. See the Digitization Notice Board for a list of works currently being digitized.
- ScholarWorks - ScholarWorks provides access to and preserves your research and scholarship. We host articles and papers, datasets, teaching materials, presentations, and other work created by members of the UMass Amherst community. Faculty and campus researchers and authors are invited to create individual ScholarWorks pages to highlight their own work. Campus departments and units can also create their own pages to highlight the work of their unit or affiliates.