Dean's Message to Parents: Looking Ahead to Spring Semester 2021
Happy New Year!
Though the first winter storm of the season has blanketed Amherst with deep snow as I write this, the Spring Semester is only a few weeks away, and the Libraries are preparing to welcome students back, both virtually and for a limited number, on campus.
We’ve worked closely with UMass Environmental Health & Safety and University Health Services to ensure that our physical spaces meet campus safety protocols. For example:
- Our locations will be open on a reduced operating schedule
- Selected physical study spaces will only be accessible by appointment for campus community members holding a current campus ID
- Traditional document printing will be available by self-service to the campus community
- Printing services for large-format and 3D printing are available to the campus community by appointment and with contactless payment and pickup
- A paging service with contactless pickup will be provided for all physical Library materials located on site
- Physical items requested from other Libraries, including other members of the Five Colleges consortium, will be provided for contactless pickup or mailed to patrons within the United States via Library Express
Safety partitions, sanitizing measures, and a communication campaign on health and safety procedures have been deployed to ensure that safe navigation through and use of physical Library spaces is maintained. Building occupancy and traffic flow will be monitored regularly to ensure that appropriate PPE use and physical distancing measures are maintained.
If your student is among those returning to campus in the spring, I hope this provides some reassurance that we’re prepared to keep them safe and healthy while supporting their research and learning. And we’ll also continue to provide the same high level of remote services for any students learning from a distance. The Libraries’ website is updated regularly, with information on our services and resources, and provides the means for connecting with individual members of our staff for direct assistance.
On behalf of the UMass Amherst Libraries, best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!
With my best regards,
Dean of Libraries