Digital Media Lab
Digital Media Lab Operations Change Due to COVID-19
The Digital Media Lab has modified its offerings due to COVID-19. You can find information about these specific changes on the services pages. Please contact DML staff with any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for Contactless Pickup of Library Materials
You can obtain books and other physical materials from the Libraries and Four Colleges through our contactless pickup service. This is a walk-up service available at the Du Bois Library and the Science & Engineering Library.
- Find the item you want in the Discovery search and use the “Request item” button to ask us to retrieve it for you. Please note that some library items do not circulate, and some items may not be available. We will notify you if your request cannot be filled.
- If you are requesting equipment from the Digital Media Lab, please visit the DML Equipment page for details regarding the reservation of equipment and scheduling a pickup time. DML equipment will be available for pickup from the shared contactless pickup service location(s) for books and other physical library materials.
- When your request is ready, you will receive an email from the Library which includes a link to schedule a pickup date and time. Contactless pickup is available Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please do not come to pick up your request until you have received a confirmation email.
- Once you have been notified, please bring your UMass ID (UCard) as identification to pick up your request. Please wear a mask, maintain a distance of 6 feet from others, and follow the directional arrows to the service desk. We will be placing all requests in bags. Once you have picked-up your request, please follow the directional arrows to exit the facility.
- Please be ready to present your green check from UMass Campus Health Hub
Support UMass Amherst
Your support will help us to provide services and experiences for the next generation.
Thank you for your support.
Free Media Resources
|OpenShot||Free, open-source, cross-platform video editor|
|Shotcut||Free, open-source, cross-platform video editor|
|Kdenlive||Free, open-source, cross-platform video editor|
|iMovie||Free, available for Mac and iPhone|
|Audacity||Free, open-source, cross-platform audio software|
|Videoshop - Video Editor||Free, offers in-app purchases, iPhone|
|VSCO||Free, mobile cross-platform photo and video editor|
|WeVideo||Free, online and cross-platform video editor|
|DaVinci Resolve||Free version available; Linux, Windows and Mac video editor|
Digital Media Lab Video Highlights
Follow the Digital Media Lab
We can help you to build 3D models for use on your websites, virtual reality, and augmented reality applications. The interactive 3D models below are based on the WebGL and WebVR platforms. You can rotate and zoom into the 3D models on your computer, mobile browser or a virtual reality headset.
A Male Doctor
A Buckyball (C60)
Digital Media Production
Media production rooms such as sound rooms, green screen rooms, and virtual reality rooms are not available at this time. We are providing virtual consultations to assist our patrons with alternative production techniques during this pandemic.
Equipment borrowing is limited to Pro-Tier equipment and loan periods have been extended. Equipment can be reserved via our Equipment Reservation Form. Details will be shared on our Equipment page soon.
3D printing is available for only the UMass Amherst population at this time. Consultations to learn about subjects related to 3D modeling, 3D printing technology, etc. are available for our campus and the public.
- Cost: $0.15 or $0.30 a gram (see Materials and Pricing for details)
- Accepted File Types: .STL or .OBJ
- Submit a 3D Print Request Form
Tours and Demonstrations
Our service will be offering demonstrations or learning sessions for Fall 2020. Please contact us for inquiries, email@example.com.
Coordinator, Digital Media Lab
Steve AcquahDPhil MChem (Hons.) CChem CSci FRSC FRMS FCMI
Director of GEOSET, 2018 Innovation Fellow, 2019 Sustainability Curriculum Fellow
As the Digital Media Lab Unit Coordinator and an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Chemistry, I can provide help to those who want to create content to help with everything from personal projects to faculty support for funding proposal, especially the Broader Impacts section of proposals from external funding agencies.
Digital Media Lab Desk Supervisor
3D Print Services Supervisor
Digital Media Lab Desk Supervisor
Tweets by @umassdmlTweets by @umassdml
(If Twitter doesn't load, you may have Do Not Track turned on)