Copyright Reading Group
The library hosts a monthly reading group for copyright fans in the library, on campus, and with affiliated organizations. Starting November 2013, we're meeting the first Monday of every month, in Room 1949 of the Du Bois Library.
- April is Appropriation Art Month : Cariou v. Prince and/or Morris v. Young - Monday, April 7, Room 1949 (lunchtime)
- Copyright Term and Extension : Golan v. Holder, Eldred v. Ashcroft - Monday, May 5, Room 1949
- First Sale : Kirtsaeng v. Wiley, ReDigi, and ART - Monday, June 2, Room 1949
- Georgia State University
- Copyright of Music
- International Issues
- Copyright Ownership
- Moral rights here in the US & outside the US
- Suntrust Bank v. Houghton Mifflin, aka the Wind Done Gone case : Transformative Fair Use 1 - Monday 5/13 1pm, Room 2601
- Bill Graham Archives v. Dorling Kindersley : Transformative Fair Use 2 - Friday 5/24, Room 1949
- Feist v. Rural : Copyrightability of Factual Information - Monday Nov. 4, Room 1949
- Harney v. Sony (1st Cir. 2013): Copyrightability of Factual Information in Documentary Photographs - Monday, Dec. 2, Room 1949
- SOFA v. Dodger (9th Cir. 2013): Fair Use of video in a musical theater production - Monday, January 13. (Link to case)
- Internet Search Engines : Perfect 10 v. Amazon, 508 F.3d 1146 (9th Cir. 2007). - Monday, February 3 Friday, February 14, Room 1949. (Read the case at Google Scholar.)
- The Authors Guild Versus Digitization : Authors Guild v. HathiTrust - Monday March 3, Room 1949. (Read the case at ARL.)
- Compare the Authors Guild v. Google on digitizing; just read the fair use opinion from November 2013, also available at ARL.
- Compare the Authors Guild's protest against Amazon.com's Kindle text-to-speech feature, widely hailed by the accessibility community: Commentary from Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), the Reading Rights Coalition, a broader discussion of accessibility issues in the Kindle from the National Federation for the Blind, and cheers from the Authors Guild on their victory over Amazon.
Last Edited: 28 March 2014