Video cameras and other equipment are available from Circulation/Reserves on the lower level of Du Bois Library.
Multimedia files can be extremely large--too big to fit on your UDrive, a thumb drive, or even a DVD. If you'll be working on your project in the LC or on multiple computers, you will want to invest in a sturdy external hard drive that is big enough to hold all of your data.
You can borrow multimedia equipment (digital video cameras, tripods, microphones, portable audio booths) from the Du Bois Circulation/Reserves desk. You will need to provide your own videocassettes which can be purchased in the Learning Commons vending machine and the the University Store at the Campus Center. (SONY Mini-DV tapes).
The Learning Commons has software as well as several computers equipped with firewire cables in which to connect the video cameras. If you will be connecting the camera to your own computer, you will want to be sure you have the correct firewire cable. The LC Desk loans headphones however you may want to bring your own.
The 12 camcorders and their accessories were obtained by the UMass Libraries through the Provost’s Office to assist students with multimedia class assignments, who do not have the means to purchase their own media equipment.
The following outlines the policies and loan information about the equipment.
- Only UMass Amherst students may check out the equipment.
- A valid UCard is required, a second picture ID may be required.
- Borrower is responsible for providing own videotape and storage device.
- 3-day loan period starting the day the equipment is checked out.
- No renewals.
- No reservations. Borrowing is on a first come, first served basis.
- Borrowers are liable for any loss or damage that occurs while the equipment is checked out to them. Including loss or damage when left in a Library book drop.
- Return equipment to the Circulation/Reserves desk on the lower level of the Du Bois Library.
- Do not return equipment in any of the library drop boxes.
Fines and Fees
- Late fees are $50.00 per day or part of a day for any equipment checked out, up to a maximum of $150.00 per item. This includes accessories.
- Non-refundable $10.00 billing and $15.00 processing fees are added to bills for fines and replacement costs per item.
- After 3 days borrowers will be billed for the replacement cost of the equipment.
|Canon ZR 960 MiniDV digital video camcorder - user manual||
|Stereo video cable||
|Tripod carrying case||
|Quick release plate||
|Audio-Technica Lavaliere microphone||
|4-6 pin firewire cable||
|4-4 pin firewire cable||
|4-9 pin firewire cable||
|Portable sound booth||
|Portable sound booth microphone||
|Digital voice recorder||
We recommend the following software (available on OIT workstations in the Learning Commons):
- Final Cut Express (Mac)
- iMovie 09 (Mac) - See OIT guide
- Windows Movie Maker (Windows) - See OIT guide
Try Atomic Learning Software for helpful tutorials on using video and audio software.
Last Edited: 27 August 2012