Obtaining Borrowing Privileges for Visiting Groups
Members of visiting student groups from Massachusetts Public Higher Education Institutions may obtain borrowing privileges by presenting a valid shchool ID. Massachusetts resident High School students under the age of 18 may obtain borrowing privileges by prior arrangement with authorization from their school librarian or school administrator. Please notify us one week in advance of the group's visit so that staff may prepare library cards for student use.
For visiting groups of students to obtain borrowing cards and privileges, complete the following steps:
- Send a list in advance (by mail or email) of your student’s names along with the group leader's contact information.
- Please send at least one week in advance of the visit.
- Email to: Circulation Services at (email@example.com).
- An online application form should be completed by each student at least two business days in advance to avoid delays.
- This allows time for us to set up the borrower accounts and create the borrower cards, so they’ll be ready when your group arrives.
- Fill out this application online at: http://www.library.umass.edu/services/borrowing/borrowcard.html
- On the application form under Status, students should select either College/University or Secondary/High School as applicable.
- Enter the sponsoring institution in the box for School Name.
- Massachusetts High School groups only - bring a letter of authorization on school letterhead:
- Include a list of students authorized for borrowing privileges, It should be signed by the High School Principal, School Librarian or authorized administrator.
- You can bring this in on the day of the visit. For group visits, one authorization letter with a list of students names will suffice.
Required: Each student will need to present a current Photo ID (a valid School ID will suffice) in order to pick up and use borrower cards.
For questions about borrowing privileges for student group visits please contact us at (413) 545-2624 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to your visit!
Thomas Paige - Manager, Circulation Services
W.E.B. Du Bois Library
154 Hicks Way
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003-9275
Last Edited: 30 June 2014