Applications for summer assignments will be accepted beginning April 1.
Applications for annual academic year assignments are accepted beginning July 1 and assignments are made on a prioritized first come, first served basis.
Prior applications on hand that have not been fulfilled are discarded as of March 31. Applicants should re-apply for the following summer (if needed) or the following Academic year.
Note: There are more requests for carrels than are currently available.
Application Form <----- click here
Small lockable rooms in the Du Bois Library are available to graduate students and faculty. The Library Circulation Services Department is responsible for the assignment of carrels. As the number of available carrels will not meet the demand, the Faculty Senate Research Library Council established a priority assignment of carrels by user and carrel (size and location) type on a semester or yearly basis. “Day use” or “unassigned” open carrels have been set aside on the 7th and 10th floors for the convenience of students looking for a quiet place to study or research away from the Lower Level and 2nd and 3rd floor quiet study areas.
Priority for carrel assignment:
- Current UM Doctoral students and retired faculty.
- Current UM Masters’ students.
- UM Faculty, post-doctoral researchers, visiting scholars, and research staff (staff should provide documentation from their supervisor to justify a carrel to facilitate research).
Visiting scholars and post-doctoral researchers need to provide proof of sponsorship from a UMass-Amherst academic department.
Carrel types and assignment:
- Large (window) carrels will be assigned to two doctoral students on floors 13, 19, 22, and 25 and to two retired faculty on floors 10 and 16. Doctoral students who prefer an individual carrel will be assigned to one of the small interior carrels.
- Small interior carrels will be assigned to one faculty, post-doc, visiting scholar, or research staff member (with documentation from the supervisor) when available.
Please email email@example.com for information.
Last Edited: 17 June 2013