Library Policies & Procedures
The UMass Amherst Libraries strive to maintain a welcoming, comfortable and safe environment for all users; i.e., anyone who enters our buildings, including staff. Users of the UMass Amherst Libraries are expected to maintain behavior that consistently respects the rights of other users to study, conduct research, and work within the buildings.
Users are expected to adhere to UMass Amherst policies as well as relevant state and federal laws. Library building monitors or other staff will ask users engaging in behavior that disrupts study and effective use of the Libraries to stop the disruptive behavior or leave the building. The Libraries reserve the right to determine what conduct constitutes “disruptive behavior.” Examples of disruptive behavior include but are not limited to: playing media without headphones or at a level that disturbs other users; making loud noises; competing noise levels amongst group study rooms; belligerent behaviors. If the disruptive behavior persists, Library building monitors or other staff will contact the campus police for assistance.
For security reasons, the W.E.B. Du Bois Library is intended for use between the hours of midnight and 7 a.m. by UMass Amherst faculty, staff and students who possess a valid university ID. Building monitors or other library staff may ask users for a valid university ID between the hours of midnight and 7 a.m. Those without a valid ID will be asked to leave the building.
Policies & Procedures
- Collection Development Policy
- Camcorder Policies and Loan Information
- Carrel Policy
- Criteria for Evaluating Proposals to Produce, Curate, or Preserve Digital Content
- Electronic Resources Usage Policy
- E-Only Journal Policy
- Libraries Event Policy
- Food and Beverage Policy
- Intellectual Freedom Policy and Guidelines
- Interlibrary Lending Policy
- Gift Policy
- Locker Policy
- Orphan Works Guidelines
- Physical Reserves Personal Copies Policy
- Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
- Special Collections Policy
- Streaming Media Copyright Policy
- User Behavior Policy
- Withdrawal of Print Materials from the Collection