About the Libraries
» Library Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines
» Streaming Media Copyright Policy
Streaming Media Copyright Policy
Streaming of Library-owned licensed media is made available for UMass Amherst classes requiring audio or video reserve materials. All files and online delivery must be in compliance with the Libraries’ Reserves Copyright Policy, Title 17- U.S. Copyright Law, and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- All material must be owned or licensed by the Libraries. The Libraries will make every reasonable effort to purchase the recording requested.
- Streaming media files are available only for the duration of the class for which they are intended. Access to them is provided through the University’s Course Management System or the Libraries’ E-Reserves system, and will be disabled at the completion of the course.
- Only faculty, staff and students teaching or enrolled in the UMass Amherst class will have password protected access to these files, both on and off campus.
- Audiovisual works must be an integral part of the course curriculum as required by the instructor for course assignments. Pedagogical concerns should determine what content and what portion of any given work must be required viewing, listening or reading by students.
- The instructor must request and fill out a Streaming Services Request Form, specifying the pedagogical reasons for including the material in the course. The forms are processed in the order in which they are received. Forms with complete information are processed first. Please allow up to fourteen (14) days for the files to be made available for course viewing or listening.
- Requests must be made for each semester that the material is needed.
- Faculty, staff and students may not copy, redistribute, modify, and/or archive any of the files streamed for course use.
- The Libraries reserve the right to reject or remove any requests not in compliance with the Libraries’ Reserves Copyright Policy.
Approved by Senior Management Group May 25, 2011
Last Edited: 22 April 2013